A plant-based diet has no definition. This depends on the person who is committed to this diet and its meaning depends on the extent allowed for that person’s plant-based diet. Basic principles include limiting animal products, focusing most of what you eat on plant foods, and prefer minimally processed foods.
Plant-based diets can help you get nutrients from animal-based diets as well as a variety of nutrients that you can’t get from animal-based diets. For instance, According to Warren, the anthocyanins in berries help protect vision; carotenoids in carrots and cantaloupe, and the isothiocyanates in brussels sprouts neutralize the free radicals that cause cell damage; and flavonoids in apples help control inflammation (2015). These nutrients are hard to get unless you eat certain vegetables such as these.
In addition, plant-based diets can help solve ethical problems about eating animal food. Many animals are raised in pain and brutally slaughtered because of people’s selfishness. The change in one’s diet will not solve this problem easily, but I believe that a small change made by one person will make a big difference.
If I go ahead and open my restaurant, the plant-based menu will of course be on my menu. Everyone knows that plant-based food is good for your health. But why do people eat unhealthy foods while leaving them? The answer is simple because it is delicious. Therefore, I think it is a big task given to people in the food industry to cook plant-based food deliciously and correctly so that healthy plant-based foods can be preferred.
Creamy Vegan Garlic Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes
Prep time: 10minutes
Cook time: 20minutes
- 1cups grape tomatoes (halved)
- 5ounces whole wheat pasta
- Olive oil
- 1medium shallots
- 4large cloves garlic (minced/grated)
- 1pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 2-3Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups unsweetened plain Almond Breeze
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and toss tomatoes in a bit of olive oil and sea salt.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta
- In a large skillet, add 1 Tbsp olive oil and the garlic and shallot. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and stir frequently
- Stir in flour and mix with a whisk. Once combined, slowly whisk in the almond milk a little at a time so clumps don’t form.
- Once the sauce is to your desired thickness, taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Then add pasta and roasted tomatoes and stir.
- Eat deliciously!
I chose “Creamy Vegan Garlic Pasta with Roast Tomatoes” as the food for this assignment. While choosing food, there were a variety of Vegan foods, but in the first place, they all looked tasteless and there were many ingredients that were not familiar with me. Because vegan food was so new to me, so I chose the pasta that I was familiar with. The slightly greasy pasta sauce I made was delicious with garlic scent and baked tomatoes. However, I thought it would have been delicious if I had put bacon in it all along. Although I am not familiar with Vegan food yet, I want to experience more kinds of vegetables and cook recipes and make more delicious Vegan food next time.